A pattern to send and receive text messages.
The user needs to open and close application windows and dialogs to access functionality.
Whilst in the middle of a call, an operator needs to do something different, e.g., send a text message.
Inexperienced users may get stuck in dialogs if they do not know the concept of modality. Some may not even be familiar with the idea of application dialogs and windows at all.
Make all visible user interface controls accessible when dialogs are open, i.e. make the dialogs non-obtrusive. This can be achieved by:
- keeping the dialog always on top,
- not allowing multiple layered dialogs,
- closing the dialog when the user opens another dialog,
- remembering the state of the dialog before closing,
- providing a “Close” button while not requiring an explicit “Save” button.
Quick access possible to safety-relevant functions on the screen.
Users do not have to bother to close a dialog before being able to proceed.Show all articles